Blog Archive

Endoscopic Plantar Fasciotomy Procedure, Recovery Time, Success Rate, CPT Code


Endoscopic plantar fasciotomy EPF is a surgical procedure in which the plantar fascia is treated to release strain. The stress is chronic and require treatment on emergency note. Plantar fascia is a tendon or we can say ligament type band which runs along the bottom side of foot. When due to strain on this ligament, inflammation occurs. This causes pain in foot at a point where the arch and heel meet up. In this case, endoscopic plantar fasciotomy is performed to release this strain in plantar fascia. This surgery is the most effective surgery performed to release plantar fascia strain.

Endoscopic Plantar Fasciotomy Procedure

It is an outpatient procedure and hardly requires an hour to complete the surgery. Patient is first injected with the local anesthesia and then 1 or 2 small incisions are made. These incisions are almost half inch long. These may on either side, or on both sides. Via this incision, a small camera is passed inside the fascia. With the help of this camera, the inner view is made clear on a nearby monitor. Then the part of fascia which is near heel is cut off. Patient should not feel pain during this procedure but if patient feels pain, then surgeon should be informed.

Endoscopic Plantar Fasciotomy Procedure, Recovery Time, Success Rate, CPT Code


Endoscopic Plantar Fasciotomy Recovery Time

Endoscopic plantar fasciotomy EPF would take around 3 to 12 months to recover fully. As it is a minor surgery, and can be performed easily within an hour. As it consist of 1 or 2 small incisions so it can easily be recovered within 3 to 5 months. Patient have to follow some instructions to make the recovery process faster. The skin may heal easily but the ligament requires time to heal completely. If any kind of infection occurs, then the recovery time may delay further.

Endoscopic Plantar Fasciotomy Success Rate

Endoscopic plantar fasciotomy EPF is a simple process and is mostly used for the release of strain which was on plantar fascia. This is a successful process and the most effective one. The chances of successful endoscopic plantar fasciotomy EPF is about 93 percent. And the remaining 7 percent failure may be due to some complications. A survey report was on 83 patients and the feet which underwent surgery were 94. The successful surgeries were 93 to 95 percent. The remaining feet faced failure due to some complications. Patients recommend this surgery to other patients with the same condition.

Endoscopic Plantar Fasciotomy CPT Code

The fasciotomy of foot is performed on the plantar fascia endoscopically which is termed as endoscopic plantar fasciotomy EPF. The CPT code for this surgery is 29893. The enxensive plantar fasciotomy has further two codes which are also used for endoscopic plantar fasciotomy EPF. These extensive codes are 28060 and 28062. The former one is used for the partial procedure and later one is used for the radical procedure. The radical procedure involves the removal of one third or more part of fascia. These are the specific and billable codes for endoscopic plantar fasciotomy EPF.

No comments:
Write Comments

Popular Posts

This Blog is protected and monitored under Digital Millennium Copyright Act. Duplication or Republishing of its contents without Permission or provision of credit link to the original article is liable to legal action with DCMA. Protection Status
All Rights Reserved.Health Tips, Diseases, Symptoms, Causes, Treatment, Test, Definitions Copyrights © 2017
Powered by Blogger.